Well, this week was one full of some very unique experiences! Things have kind of slowed down relating to our investigators. This week Elder Shum and I focused our efforts on finding new people to teach and strengthening the Less active members! We were able to pick up a new investigator Loni! We were able to teach him the first lesson and it went really well. He seems like a promising investigator and I am praying that things will continue to go well with him. We also have the chance to baptize our investigator Pepe and her son Sale this Saturday! We are super excited for that! Pepe is super solid and I have loved watching her spirit grow!
Alright! So, Last week Thursday we had our District Meeting. After the District Meeting we all got in the Zone Leaders car so they could take us back to our Area. For some odd reason I just reached under the seat to see if anything was underneath. Random, Right? Anyway, I pulled out some food wrapped in tinfoil. The rule here in Samoa is you share everything. So, I asked Elder Daley what was inside of the Tinfoil and he told us it was Dog! No one believed him but, luckily for us we have a Tongan Elder in our District and just in case none of you know Tongans love to eat dog! As soon as the Tongan Elder opened the Tinfoil he had the biggest smile and just started saying "Malie! Malie!" (Dog) Well, to make things short.... I ATE DOG!!! Not going to lie it was pretty delicious! It is kind of like Roast Beef but, spicy! lol, don't tell Gus!
On Friday we were coming home for the day and we saw our next door neighbor with his family doing an Umu. We decided that we would go over and help them! Turns out they were cooking a pig! So, I was able to see the whole process of them cleaning the pig and cooking it! Pretty impressive and pretty gross as well!
Saturday and Sunday was our Ward Conference! Something about Samoan people is they have so much respect for there Leaders! One way they show there respect is through food. They ended up giving the Stake Leaders 3 Giant Pigs, Lobster, Fish, Boxes of Corned Beef ,Boxes of Canned Tuna, Luau, and a bunch of other food! It was so different from how we do our ward conferences haha!
I don't know if you guys remember me sending you the picture of the Poisonous Centipede called an Akualoa! Well, Last night we had just finished the day and it is pretty normal for the ward members to come over and talk with us a little bit before we go to bed. Anyway, we were talking and all of the sudden one of the guys yells "Sole, Vaai Aukaloa!" (Dude, Look Poisonous Centipede) I thought they were just going to kill it but, the Seminary Teacher stood up and grabbed it and ripped off his teeth so he couldn't bite anyone and started playing with it! Elder Shum ran into the house because he is completely Terrified of Akualoa! However, I have kind of just built up this mentality that I will probably only be in Samoa one time so I held it! I was 1000% Terrified if any of you know how much I hate insects this should be pretty hilarious to you! If you have ever seen the video where the butterfly is on the little boys face and he is laughing but, you can tell he is super freaked out, yeah, that is how I felt! You will see when I send the Pictures!
Anyway! It was a great week! Love this Area! This Sunday is Transfers though so I may or may not be leaving! Also, another thing about transfers is we all get transferred on p-day which means if I do get transferred I probably will not be able to email next week! We will see though! Honestly you guys I love this work so much and I love sharing my testimony with the Samoan people! I testify that this is the work of the Lord! I miss you all like crazy but, I am so thankful for each one of you and how much you have influenced my life! I really do have the best family in the world! Hope you all have a great week!
Elder Barton
| Package from the Promise Land, |
| My Soa and I |
| Eating Dog |
| Holding Dog |
| Aukualoa! (If you look really closely you can see I am actually about to pee my pants oh and you can see Elder Shum Hiding inside with the door locked!) |
No comments:
Post a Comment