Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Season 4 Episode 4: Tender Mercies

Hello Family,

This week because we are short on time I decided to just write you all together. As you have already read the topic of this email is Tender Mercies. I don't know why, but, this week has been full of some very unique and what I would consider rare experiences. I have had my testimony strengthened so much through out this week and I have been so humbled and blessed to have witnessed the Power of God this week and his enduring love for his children.

To Start off, this week we have been working with Tavita, Faasili, Olive, and Satui getting them ready for there baptisms this Saturday and Sunday. It has been really fun teaching these four and seeing how prepared they have been by the Lord and how willing they are to follow our Savior Jesus Christ. Elder David and I are very excited for the baptisms this weekend and to see them start this new journey in the gospel.

One really experience I want to share this week is about a family of 8. 4 of which are of baptismal age. We had received a referral from a ward in the lady at the time of General Conference that there were 4 kids attending who have been coming to church for a very long time with there Aunty but, they aren't baptized. After General Conference was over I went and started to talking to the 12 year old Peter and his younger 8 year old sister Nora. I asked them about there parents and figured out that both of there parents are Loku Kahiki but, they allow there kids to attend our Church. I told them that we would come by during the week to ask permission from there Father if we could start lessons. However, later that night I had this thought in the back of my head telling me that I needed to change my mindset. I needed to teach the whole family. Not just Peter and Nora. This feeling lasted all week until the time came to contact Seupule. The father of the kids. One thing you guys should know is that Seupule is a Chief of the village. Which means he uses a lot of respectful language which is a lot different from just normal Samoan. Honestly the respectful language is completely different from just normal Samoan. I became very nervous when I found out Seupule was a Chief and started to doubt my abilities to lead the discussion. However, I kept telling my self to take the fear out of the work. That has been mine and Elder David's theme for this week. Just take the fear out of the work. As we were approaching the house I just kept on having that reoccurring thought that we needed to teach the entire family. I felt comforted that even though mine and Elder David's Samoan is no where near fluent, that, if I were to take the fear out of my mind and have complete faith in the Lord, things were going to go well. As we started talking I just felt this warm, very gentle, almost non-existent peace come over me. We began talking and I ended up first asking Seupule if we could teach and baptize his kids. He had no problem with that, which was a pretty big relief. Then I asked him if we could teach the whole family together because that is one of our most cherished beliefs, is that families can be together forever. So, with that calming peace in my mind I asked Seupule if we could teach the whole family. To make a longer story shorter, he ended up telling us of some recent events that had occurred involving the Mormon Church and how he just felt like it was right and then about two weeks later we came rolling up on our bikes and were now asking him to learn more about The Gospel of Jesus Christ. He accepted our invitation to take the lessons with Him, his Wife, and his Children. When we left his House I was almost blown away by how prepared by God this man was. It has made my testimony unshakable that I know God lives and we are his Children and He is BEGGING for ALL of his Children to come back to him in this life and after this life.

Another rare experience we had this week is when we took them to the visitors center in Pesega. Basically what this center is, is for all of the Missions investigators and we can bring them to Pesega and do this short little program that Focuses on what we teach and believe as Members of the Church of Jesus Christ. I can't really explain the feelings that were experienced in that short 30 minute program. Especially seeing how happy Peter and Nora were to see there parents accepting the gospel. I think the best moment is when we were able to talk about the Temple and how we can be sealed for all time and eternity to our families. Nora and Peter couldn't stop smiling and I could see that Seupule and Tine were close to tears because they were starting to feel and recognize that familiar tone of the Gospel. At the end of the program we extended the invitation for all of them to get baptized and probably with one of the most humble Yes's I have heard on my mission Seupule, Tine, Peter, and Nora all accepted to be baptized and work together to be sealed in the House of the Lord. This experience has also made my testimony about eternal families unshakable. And I am so grateful to have been raised in a family that treasures these beliefs so dearly. I am so grateful for you, My family. I am so lucky to be a representative of the Lord and share this Life changing message. I know experiences like this don't come by very often but, it makes all of the sweat, failures, disappointments, tears, and everything else so much more worth it. 

I have also been listening to the General Conference talks over this week. How lucky are we to have a Living Prophet and Apostles that receive revelation from our Father in Heaven for all of us. I have loved being able to listen to these talks and study them. I am so grateful for this once in a lifetime opportunity to serve our Master and Savior Jesus Christ and bring this beautiful message to those who accept and those who don't. I am so grateful to have a family and a Loving Father in Heaven that have taught me to walk in the way of the Lord to where I can experience Tender Mercies like these. No, I am no where near perfect. But, I know that if we try our best, Missionary or not to take the fear out of this great and marvelous work of sharing the Gospel with our Brothers and Sisters we will all receive a joy that we never knew existed. I challenge you all to try your best to share this gospel and try your best to always invite people to meet with the missionaries. We are enlisted in this work whether we wear a name tag or not. I know You guys, My family are all very powerful missionaries with very special gifts from God. Let's work together to build the Kingdom of God and bring our Brothers and Sisters back to this Restored Truth. I know our Savior Lives, I know this is his work, and I testify with all of my heart that this is His church restored upon the Earth. I love you guys so much. Even though I miss you all like crazy, I hope you all know how much you all motivate me to bring this gospel to these people of Samoa. I really am always praying for you guys and thinking about you! Until Next week!

Love,
Elder Barton

P.s. I will send a lot of pictures next week. We went to Apia today for P-day and I left my SD reader at home. 

P.s.s Something I really I want to share. How incredibly awesome was D. Todd Christosffersons talk???? The Guilt Culture vs. The Shame Culture. What a powerful talk that so accurately represents the day we are living in today!!! So crazy how cool and true this church is!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment