Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Season 2 Episode 14: Drunken Encounters

Talofa Family!

Well, Sounds like you guys had a pretty busy week with Thanksgiving and Nichole's and Bridger's Birthday! I hope you all had a good week and were able to enjoy being together with the Family! We didn't really do much here on Thanksgiving because Elder Tiatia got pretty sick. But, he is better now so that is good! I forgot to mention this but, Elder Tiatia is a huge country fan so he is always seeing country music. His favorite artist is Taylor Swift. To be honest I think I like country music now haha! 

Anyway, this was very good. We didn't have much progression with our investigators but, We had some very humbling experiences this week. We had the chance to have the Ap's come to our area and give us a few tips since we are both so new. It was extremely helpful and very much appreciated. I realized that Elder Tiatia and I had just got stuck in a routine. Which is very dangerous because it brought a lot discouragement to us and we felt like we just weren't succeeding. Anyway, the Ap's really helped us out and gave us some tips! I will admit I was pretty discouraged after they came. Mainly because I felt like I should have seen what we could have done better from the beginning which turned into me feeling like I have been wasting the Lords time. After a few days of thinking like this I had a thought pop into my head. Basically what I came to realize is that Satan is relentless. He will never give up. He will work everyday to try and slowly drag us down to get the point where we feel like we have failed. Having the Ap's come and help us was a great experience but, I didn't see it has a great experience for a few days until, I noticed that I was allowing Satan to work with me. If Satan can discourage us as missionaries and mentally take us out of the "game" He has won. This can be applied to everyday life as well. Satan is very smart and very real. I am thankful for a Loving Heavenly Father though. I know that the thought I had was from God. It really helped me realize how powerful Satan really is and how badly he wants us to be miserable in every way. I am grateful for that experience and I know it has made my testimony of a Loving Heavenly Father even more powerful! I truly am Grateful to be out here serving. Elder Tiatia and I are really motivated for this upcoming week. We really feel like we can get some work done. This area has taught me a lot and I am so grateful for this area. I know I still have 4 weeks left here but, I am super excited to make the best of the time I have been given!

I love you all and I hope and pray that you all have a great week! Keep doing the small and simple things! Can't testify enough of the importance of daily prayer and scripture study! There is real power that comes from doing just those two things! Have a great week!

Elder Barton

P.s. Everyone is already playing Christmas music down here! Still Super hot and green! Next week I will tell you about the encounter we had with a drunk guy who tried to fight us! (We didn't fight! He just doesn't like missionaries and was super drunk)


I have a little bit of time so here is the story of the Drunk man.

Elder Tiatia and I were walking into a store to get some water and there were three guys sitting out front smoking and drinking. But, we don't judge so we went to go to talk to them you know? Well, we shook the two Samoan guys hand and then we went to shake the white mans hand and he just said "NO" I was all thinking like Dang that's pretty cold! Next thing you know this guy starts swearing at us saying how we "F'd it up in Manua" and all these other things and to be honest I had no Idea what he was talking about. so pretty much I was like Ok have a nice day we are gonna buy some water. Well, we come back out and this guy is standing up and then he puts his fists up and he is all like "You read to fight buddy" We just kept walking and then I turn around and he picks up this can and throws it at us! Funny thing is was he was so drunk he threw it straight at the ground haha! Man I have never seen someone so drunk and so disrespectful here in Samoa! That was a blue moon experience! Two years from now I will act it out for you all because it is way funnier with actions! Love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment